Monday, June 30, 2008

Sweet Pork Barbacoa and Lime Rice

This has been edited as of 5/10. I've changed the measurements to how I like to make it (the pork) -Candace

Sorry Candace I forgot to post this until now. I found this recipe on another blog and it actually tastes a lot like Cafe Rio's Pork. Also the rice is really good. I just cooked it in my rice cooker and it turned out great! Although I think I may have added more liquid or less rice so the rice didn't get dried out. Then I served the pork and rice together with homemade(Costco) tortillas. Jared loved it!

Ingredients:
4 lb. pork roast
2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
4 cloves garlic, diced
1 1/4- 1 1/2 C. brown sugar, packed
1 T. cumin
2 c. Dr. Pepper
2 T. molasses
1 T. onion salt
½ t. salt
Pepper to taste

Directions

Mix all ingredients except pork, salt, and pepper until sugar is dissolved. Season the pork with salt and pepper. Place pork roast in a crock pot sprayed with Pam. Pour mixture over roast and let simmer until meat is tender and pulls away with fork. (Cook on low all day or overnight if desired.) Shred pork and return to liquid halfway through cooking time. Serve with Lime rice.


Lime Rice

Servings: 4 cups

Ingredients

2 cups Rice
2 Tbsp. Butter
2 (14 oz.) cans Chicken Broth
¾ tsp. Salt
Pepper to taste
Juice of 2 Limes
Zest of 1 lime
3 Tbsp. chopped cilantro(I used more because we LOVE cilantro)
¼ tsp. cumin

Directions

Add all ingredients in Rice cooker. Or melt butter with rice in skillet. Add rest of ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes.

1 comment:

Candace said...

okay so these are both sooooo good! Devin loved the meat. I did something a little different then the recipe said, because after it had cooked I tasted it, and it was a little too sweet for me, so I just added about 1 teaspoon of onion salt and maybe 1/4 cup of beef stock. It made it just right for me! Thanks Camille, these are definately a keeper!