Friday, October 17, 2008

Tomato Basil Soup

Speaking of inexpensive food storage meals, this soup is really good. So much better than canned. I like to make this with grilled cheese sandwiches. Also, I got this recipe from Thanksgiving Point

1 T extra virgin olive oil
1 large medium diced yellow onion
4 cloves chopped garlic
2 two pound cans of diced or whole tomatoes (Can also use Italian blend)
1 small can tomato paste
2 c water or chicken stock
1-2 c whipping cream (optional)
½ c fresh basil (or 2 T dried basil)
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper

Method:
Sauté onion in olive oil on high heat until translucent (about five minutes). Add garlic and tomatoes with juice. Add tomato paste. Add water and bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer for 10 minutes.At this point it should be chunky and starting to thicken up. Remove from heat and puree in blender in half batches. You can also use a stick blender and puree the whole batch.Return to a low heat and add cream and fresh basil. Bring back to a boil for three minutes. Add seasoning to taste. Serve.

Yield: About 8 cups (this seriously makes a ton. When I first made this I made the whole recipe and Jared and I ate it for FOUR days and I still ended up throwing some out.

1 comment:

Candace said...

okay, we had this!!! SOOOOOOO good, and super easy!!! I'll never eat canned tomato soup again (even though I've had an aversion to it since college and wouldn't eat it anyway) But for reals...it's really good!