- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced
- 2 tablespoons cold shortening (recommended: Crisco) Note: I didn't use any Crisco I just added more butter and they turned out great
- 1/4 cup ice water
Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a small bowl and place in the freezer for 30 minutes. Put the flour mixture in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the butter and shortening and pulse about 10 times, or until the butter is in the size of peas. Add the ice water and process until the dough comes together. Dump on a well-floured board and form into a disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Roll out the dough and fit into 4 (4 1/2-inch) tart pans with removable sides. Don't stretch the dough when placing it in the pans or it will shrink during baking. Cut off the excess by rolling the pin across the top of each pan. Line the tart shells with a piece of buttered aluminum foil, butter side down, and fill them with dried beans or rice. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the beans and foil, prick the bottom of the shells all over with a fork, and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until almost done. Set aside to cool. (If adding filling you'll be cooking another 5 minutes so make sure you don't overbake)
- ½ cup fresh lime juice (3 to 4 limes)
- 4 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 – 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 (4 1/2") tart shells
1. It’s easiest to remove the lime zest from whole limes so start with that.
2. Cut the limes in half and squeeze out the juice being careful to not include any seeds.
3. Whisk the egg yolks and lime zest together in a bowl until tinted light green. This takes about 2 minutes.
4. Beat in the milk, then juice and set aside at room temp till it thickens, about 5 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
6. Pour mixture into tart crusts, bake for 5 minutes until the center is set, but still wiggles when shaken.
7. Remove from the oven and cool to room temp.
8. Refrigerate for at least three hours until well chilled.
9. Serve with whipped cream topping and decorate with a lime wedge or zest.
Makes 4 Tarts