Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tomato Basil Soup with Tortellini

I know I just barely posted a tomato soup but this one was too good not to post. Plus this one is totally different.

1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium-size onion, chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
4 cups chicken stock
1 can (15 oz) tomato puree (or sauce)
1 lg can stewed tomatoes
3 Tblsp dry basil leaves or 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
3/4 tsp sugar (this is to taste)
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder or salt to taste (or you could add garlic)
1 pkg. cheese tortellini (I like the fresh tortellini you find by the cheese)
Shredded parmesan cheese

In a 3 to 4 quart pan, melt butter and heat oil over medium low heat. Add onion and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender. Stir stock, tomato puree, stewed tomatoes, basil, sugar, and pepper into pan. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer to blend flavors and soften carrots, about 15 minutes. (At this point you can puree the soup if you want it smooth. I like it chuncky so I skip this step.) Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Bring soup to a boil and add tortellini. Boil until tortellini is tender. Serve with parmesan cheese.

1 comment:

John and Crystal Pinegar Family said...

Thanks Camille. I love making soups when it's cold outside. Makes me feel cozy. I will definitely have to try this one.