Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Anything and Everything Granola

Well I've been looking for snacks that are sweet but good for you too. So I came upon a granola recipe and tried it out. I've added and taken things out, but no matter how I've made it, it's been really yummy! We actually really like to have it as cereal, since it isn't like a gooey granola. Also it's very helpful for the digestive system:) Any way, you can add or take out stuff, but I'll just tell you what I've been doing.

4 cups regular rolled oats
1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
1 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts would taste good too)
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
1/3 sunflower seeds
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup coconut oil (the recipe called for cooking oil, coconut is healthier, but a lot more expensive. I'm sure it would taste great with regular)
1/8 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup honey (if you don't have agave nectar just use all honey)
2 tbsp. maple syrup
2 tbsp. molasses (sometimes I don't add this)
1 1/2 cup craisins or raisins or both

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a large bowl mix oats, nuts, wheat germ, coconut, seeds, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.

In a saucepan combine oil, honey, agave nectar, maple syrup, and molasses. Heat until warmed. Carefully pour over oat mixture. Stir gently with a wooden spoon; finish by hand.

Spread evenly on a cookie sheet. Bake for 40 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool slightly, then add dried fruit.

No comments: