Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Steel Cut Oatmeal

I saw this on a Food Network show a couple of days ago and thought it looked good (I like to make a hot cereal every once in awhile and regular oatmeal was getting old). So I gave it a try and it is really yummy! So if you have about 40 minutes to cook something (it does take awhile) give it a try!


Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup steel cut oats
3 cups boiling water
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions
In a large saucepot, melt the butter and add the oats. Stir for 2 minutes to toast. Add the boiling water and reduce heat to a simmer. Keep at a low simmer for 25 minutes, without stirring.

Combine the milk and half of the buttermilk with the oatmeal. Stir gently to combine and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Spoon into a serving bowl and top with remaining buttermilk, brown sugar, and cinnamon.

suggestion - check it about 20 minutes, mine didn't need a whole 25. Also, I served it with raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. I don't think I would've liked it with more buttermilk, but to each his own! Ohh, and I think you could make it with just milk and it would taste great!

No comments: