Saturday, October 17, 2009

Apple spice cake with caramel spice sauce.

So, while all of you are enjoying your beautiful fall, I can only dream of a beautiful fall. I miss the cool weather, sweaters, apple orchards, leaves changing and all of the greatness of fall (my favorite season). So, I have to pretend it's fall. This recipe made my house smell all warm and spicy; even if it's 80 degrees outside (and 90 in my kitchen because the oven is on).

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 egg
2 un-peeled shredded apples
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl cream together butter & sugar. Add egg & beat well. Add shredded apples & mix well. Stir in dry ingredients & mix until just combined. Stir in nuts. Pour into a greased 9x9 pan & bake for 40-50 minutes. Serve with caramel spice sauce & whipped cream.

**double recipe for 9x13 pan & bake for 45-60 minutes.

Caramel Spice Sauce:
1 stick butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

In a small sauce pan on medium heat, melt together butter, sugar & milk
for 10-15 minutes (do not boil). Stir frequently. Add vanilla & nutmeg.

2 comments:

Camille said...

waaahhh...I'm feeling really sorry for you and your 80 degrees :)
lol

Candace said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm........sounds yummy!