Saturday, October 10, 2009

Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry

If you can't tell, I've been in the mood to cook lately. I'm also trying to eat healthily as well. I got this one off the the eatbetteramerica.com site. But I did change it quite a bit. I will list what I did.

8oz uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
1 T. sesame oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. minced ginger
1 lb boneless beef top sirloin steak, trimmed of fat, cut into 1/8-inch slices
1large red, yellow or orange bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1small onion, cut into 1/4-inch wedges
1 -3 bunches broccoli florets
1/3 cup water
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2cup reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
1 TB cornstarch
2 tablespoons chopped green onions (2 medium)

1. Cook and drain spaghetti as directed on package; cover to keep warm.

2. Meanwhile, in 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger, cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add beef; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes until beef is no longer pink; remove from pan.

3. Add bell pepper and onion to skillet; cook and stir 1 minute. Add broccoli; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in water and crushed red pepper. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.

4. In small cup, mix teriyaki sauce and cornstarch. Stir teriyaki sauce and beef into broccoli mixture in skillet. Cook and stir over high heat until sauce is thickened and heated through. (I added extra water because the sauce was to thick for my liking.) Toss broccoli mixture with spaghetti. Garnish with green onions.

You could omit the noodles and serve over rice too.

1 comment:

Camille said...

I made this yesterday and it's a really good everyday kind of meal. Thanks Crystal! One down...twenty to go :)