Monday, November 23, 2009

French Onion Soup

I've kind of been on a soup kick lately. I know that I've posted Mimi's French Onion Soup recipe but I liked this one better. I think the trick is to make sure you cook the onions for a really long time until they are caramel colored. This will give the soup great flavor. My onions took about 30 minutes to caramelize.

I doubled this soup thinking that I would have a ton of extra but the onions cooked down so much that it really wasn't that much.

Ingredients:
8 medium or 6 large onions, peeled and sliced thinly
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. butter
1 cup sherry wine (could use water but the wine helps the flavor. I just bought sherry cooking wine at Walmart for $2.00, find by vinegar.)
Approx. 2 tsp. sugar
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups beef broth
2 cloves garlic, left whole
1 bay leaves
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 lb. swiss cheese, grated
slices of sourdough or favorite bread

Preparation:

Saute onions in olive oil in large skillet (I just used soup pot) on med. heat for 5-7 minutes. Turn up heat to med. high and cook 10 more minutes, or until bottom of pan is starting to brown. Add sherry to deglaze pan. Add some sugar and continue to saute until onions are very dark caramel color. Deglaze again with sherry. Add in broth,garlic, bay leaf and seasonings. Simmer for at least 30 minutes. Before serving remove garlic and bay leaf. Ladle into soup bowls. Toast sliced bread at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes and place on top of soup. Sprinkle cheese on top. Place bowls on bake sheet and put under broiler until golden brown.

No comments: