Thursday, October 9, 2008

Black Bean Soup

John and I are really trying to cut down our grocery bill. Here is another cheap and easy meal. Also a great food storage meal.

1 medium onion chopped
1 Tbsp. cumin
1 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
3 (16oz.) cans black beans (undrained)
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can chicken broth
3 c. medium or hot chuncky salsa (next time I make it I'm going to use mild, a little too spicey for me)
Juice and grated peel of 1 lime

Cook onion and cumin in oil (use a large pot) over medium heat until onion is tender. Removed from heat. Puree 2 cans beans and their liquid with the chicken broth. Add to pot. Stir in remaining beans, salsa, and lime jice and peel. Bring to a boil; reduce to low heat. Simmer about 30 mintues. I topped it with grated cheese, sour cream, fresh cilantro and crushed tortilla chips

1 comment:

Candace said...

thanks, I've been looking for more recipes with beans.....probably for the same reasons:)