Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Southwest Corn and Chicken Soup

I tried this recipe the other day and I thought it was really yummy. It even got a 2 helping approvoal from John (that's how I know he really likes it).

3 fresh cobs of corn (I used a 2 bags of frozen corn, store didn't have fresh)
1 chicken breast
3 green onions, spring onions, shallots
1 banana pepper or red pepper
2 cloves garlic
3 T. Semolina Flour (used regular flour it worked just fine)
1 cup chicken stock (I'm not sure exact proportions I used but I used more to make it stretch)
1/2 cup half & half (I used 3 cups to make it stretch for my family)
1/4 cup cilantro, minced
1 avocado, cut into small chunks
chips
cheese

Roast the chicken in a little olive oil and salt in a hot oven.Meanwhile shuck the corn and then slice the corn from the husks. Cut the pepper and green onions into a few pieces. Place all into a food processor. Add the garlic and flour. Blend altogether for a minute or two, until ground to a nice paste.Pour into a saucepan and add the stock and cream. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10-20 minutes.At some point the chicken should have been done. Cut or shred it and add it to the soup at any point. Add the cilantro. In the mean time, lay some corn chips out onto a cookie sheet. Top with cheese and broil in the oven until toasted and melted -being careful not to burn.Place some chips in the bottom of the bowls. Top with soup and avocado and a few more chips and serve, garnished with more cilantro. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Candace said...

this was really yummy!!! I added some cumin (because I can't get enough of it for some reason) which was really yummy....and for me it needed a good amount of salt....but really really good. The leftovers were even better!

John and Crystal Pinegar Family said...

I had to add salt too. I should have included that in the recipe. Sorry.